Monday, September 16, 2013

Losing Control

"You are stronger, You are stronger. Sin is broken; You have saved me. It is written--Christ is risen! Jesus, You are Lord of all." --Hillsong, "Stronger"

So many times in my life, I panic at my lack of control. Things happen--or don't happen--all around without my say-so. At times--like tonight--I feel helpless, broken, and afraid. Papers, exams, quizzes, readings put me on edge. Let me tell you, that Lit Analysis paper I'm supposed to be getting back tomorrow is destroying my sanity.

Things so far in the future, some of which, may never even happen--marriage, a job--consume my mind. I've become so juvenile in my pursuit of things that I don't need. In reality, these are such small things to be concerned about, especially when put into perspective with God.

He is stronger than anything and everything in my life. He is stronger than me. I get tired and weak as I am now. This angst is so easily ignited by simply staying up too late or missing a meal. My body is frail--I have no great strength physically or emotionally. I can't even come close to measuring up to the "youth" in Isaiah 40. That guy could probably run circles around me for months, and I'd just collapse in a wheezing fit, clutching my inhaler. My emotions are as easily controlled--have you seen me watch Tangled? It's not pretty.

I am so weak and He is so strong. Why I insist on grasping to the phantom that is control is beyond me. I've never had it, and I never will. The key is not letting this helplessness overwhelm me, for I have a God Who has saved me--and He is stronger.

It's time for me to step aside and let Him do His job. This is where, like James, I need to prove my faith by my works.

So this is it. I find myself at the Red Sea once again, praying to God that when I take that step, the waters will part. What's the best thing? I know what will happen because I know my God.


Spoiler alert: they do.


No comments:

Post a Comment