Friday, September 27, 2013

Beautiful

     So I've been MIA for quite a while--more than just from this blog, but also from everything else that doesn't have to do with Leo Tolstoy or 1880s Russia (Lit Analysis, ftw). But I'm here now, and just wanted to share something with you.
     
     If you've never experienced worship through music at Cedarville University, let me just tell you that you're missing out. Pastor Rohm used to say that he believed the angels in heaven would praise and rejoice with those who did on earth, but, sometimes, when Cedarville sang, they'd stop and say, "Shhh. Cedarville's singing; listen." I've always thought that had to be true. I'm convinced that worship at the 'Ville is just a glimmer into what worship in Paradise will be like.

     What's great is that, since there are so many people from so many places, the methods of praise vary exponentially from person to person. Clapping, hands raised, kneeling, silent prayer--so many different and beautiful expressions of passionate love for the God Who not only created us, but loved us and led us to such a fantastic place as Cedarville University.

     There's one song we sing, which I absolutely adore, called "You're Beautiful" by Phil Wickham (seriously, go listen to it right now). The song is about seeing God throughout creation, and expressing how beautiful He is. Whenever we sing it, I can't help the smile that dominates my face--no matter what kind of day I'm having. Anyway, that song inspired a sort of love letter I wrote to God, which follows.

Dear God,
     I saw You today. I saw You in the faces of Your people. You had long hair, short hair, black, blonde, red, and brown hair—straight and curly. You had pale skin, dark skin, and freckley skin. I saw You lifted up by the small, big, and worn hands of Your children. I saw You in big blue, green, and small brown eyes. From some flowed sweet salty tears of joy, and others were closed in awe of Your glory. I saw You in the wide grins of those who were incapable of containing the shining felicity of Who You are. I saw Your wounds reflected in the battered knees of grateful sinners as they collapsed before Your throne.
     I heard You in the alto, soprano, bass, tenor, and off-key voices singing Your praises, which are all pleasing to Your ears. I heard You in the staccato burst of hands clapping together—Your majesty bleeding through each beat. The drums, keyboards, and strings echoed Your name. Your presence was made known in the sounds of shuffling, stomping feet as the energy of Your love moved Your servants.
     I felt You in the thrum of the bass. It vibrated my heart as it cried out for You. I felt You in the embrace of my brothers and sisters—Your children. My body burst with the joy I felt as I moved nearer to You, for You are always there. Your love, joy, power, and holiness filled that place and were tangible to all.
     I saw Your face in Your beloved, and                     You’re beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment