Friday, January 17, 2014

Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -Doctor Who
Okay, I know I've probably put some people off with a Doctor Who quote, but bear with me. (Also: there are more references to come. Can't help it. I'm a nerd.)

I'm late for chapel every day. This semester, I took a job as a chapel scanner. This means I get paid two dollars an hour, stand in a doorway, and press a button on a little machine to scan people's ID cards. It's pretty great, actually. I basically get paid to be social. Anyhow, because of this, I have to wait until 10:05 (chapel starts at 10:00) to make sure everyone gets in, and then I go sit down.

Today, however, I was fifteen minutes late.

There are typically two scanners for each doorway, which means that I get to hang out with my friend Dan while working, too. As we were returning to the main lobby (we stand at one of the side doors) to replace our scanners, we looked outside and saw (quite literally) a winter wonderland.

The snowflakes were as big as my nose! They drifted slowly and beautifully down from the sky. It looked just like the closing scene to White Christmas (without the fake sound-stage, as Dan pointed out). Unable to contain my excitement, I declared that I MUST catch at least one snowflake on my tongue before going to chapel. Dan enthusiastically joined me. I forgot that I wasn't wearing a coat or boots or anything of the sort, and ran outside.

We instantly started laughing. I stuck my tongue out, outbursts of laughter still coming from the back of my throat. We were spinning and blinking in the pure whiteness.

I haven't laughed so much and so genuinely in a long time. I barely felt the cold even though my little dress flats were soaked and my forearms were exposed to the blizzard. I was so utterly amazed at God's gorgeous creation. I felt so blessed.

Suddenly, intense childlike joy consumed me as the snowflakes melted on my tongue and--in true Sound of Music fashion--clung to my eyelashes. Compelled with this new-found joy, I threw my stuff on the ground and started making a snowman. Dan was also apparently struck with the urge, and we both began work on our mini frosty friends.

I was reminded of one time when Evan and I went on a walk with our Nana through her neighborhood in the winter. Ev reached down and grabbed some snow. I shrieked, thinking that a snowball to the face was imminent, but he just reached down and grabbed more snow. He told me he was making a mini snowman. So as we walked, we just started producing little snow people, leaving them sitting in snowbanks along the road. It's one of my favourite memories with him.

So Dan and I tore little branches and berries from a little tree next to the lake. I stuck the berries on as buttons, their holiday red contrasting the stark pure white of the snow. Dan smashed his berries on his snowman's head, attempting to give him eyes.

We bursted out laughing at his creepy snowman, our freezing fingers, and the sheer happiness of it all. We took pictures, expressed how excited we were this happened, and parted ways.

I swiftly gathered my typically-college travel mug and my discarded coat, and ran up the steps into the DMC. I was hoping to get into chapel before I was TOO late.

The thing is, the floor in the main lobby outside the chapel is marble. I was wearing wet dress flats. Plus, I'm me. So, you know, I of course fell spectacularly, rolling my ankle (hearing the familiar pop) and slamming my left hip against the floor.

There were a few people sitting in the lobby. They all looked up suddenly, mild concern on their faces.

I, however, just started laughing hysterically.

I wasn't embarrassed, I didn't care about the bruise already forming on my hip, or my mild ankle sprain (that's just commonplace now, honestly). As I laughed and choked out rushed sorries to no one and everyone, one girl shook her head disapprovingly, turning back to her book.

I felt a lot like (NERD ALERT) Bilbo Baggins running through the Shire. In the book, Tolkien does this great thing where he describes all the disapproving Hobbits shaking their heads and muttering about Bilbo's craziness. But did Bilbo care? Of course not, he's part Took (sorry, that was extra nerdy)! He proudly shouted, "I'm going on an adventure!"

For once in my life, I didn't care what they were thinking. I was so filled with what I know was God-given joy. Some of you probably think I'm ridiculous for getting so much out of a little snowman, but that's how God works, you know? He knew I needed some childhood joy and a friend to laugh with.

I guess I don't know exactly where this is going, but back to the Doctor Who quote for a moment. After all that fun outside, I went in and immediately (and literally) crashed into the hard ground. Though I was actually in a lot of pain (and still am--I limped all the way to work), I was just so happy, I didn't care. Bad things come and go, but so do the good. It's your choice whether you focus on your pile of bad or your pile of good.

Right now, I don't really know what my future holds. I'm kind of terrified about this semester (and the future in general). I don't know what's going to happen. I've had a lot of bad things occur over the past few years.

But my choice? I'm not listening to the scoffs, looking at the shaking heads, obsessing over the unknown, disregarding joy--no matter what form it takes.

Me? I'm going to focus on the good.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this blog and could so see all of this happening! I, too,found some joy in this winter wonderland, but in a totally different aspect. Such a great one-thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete